It could End American Civilization as we know it.
Prepare. Protect. Recover.
This was a Press Conference presented by EMPact America in NYC (Sept 23, 2011), an organization for citizens concerned about protecting the American people from a nuclear or natural electromagnetic (EMP) catastrophe.
Our vulnerability increases daily. Are we prepared for the single greatest threat to America’s infrastructure? From EMP’s? That’s why we NEED the SHIELD ACT. (Secure High-Voltage Infrastructure for Electricity from Lethal Damage Act)
WHY WE NEED IT
- Contemporary U.S.Society is not structured, nor have the means, to provide for the needs of nearly 300 mil Americans without electricity
- Current strategy for recovery from an electric grid failure leaves us ill-prepared to respond to a man-made or naturally occurring EMP.
- Consequences of the loss of electrical power system for substantial period of time likely to be catastrophe with casualties in excess of 60% of population
- Occurrence of severe geo-magnetic storms inevitable. Only a matter of WHEN.
WHAT IT DOES
- Encourages co-operation between government and industry to address current shortcomings & vulnerabilities of electric grid from major EMP event
- Passed by House; stalled in Senate, due to additions regarding cyber-security threats (SHIELD Act omits that language,to be address in a separate bill)
- EMP ( Electro-magnetic pulse) is a high-intensity burst of electro-magnetic energy. It can be caused by a natural event ( like a solar storm) or a malicious act (such as a high-altitude nuclear burst)
- Consequences of either event could be long-lasting and continent-wide, crippling the U.S. electricity- dependent infra-structures. They are highly vulnerable and largely unprotected. Paralyzed, perhaps, beyond recovery.
- The infrastuctures include: power, communications, transportation, banking, finance, food & water; all that is required to sustain a modern civilization
Terrorists acquiring nuclear materials, rogue nations such as Iran and NoKo, could achieve an EMP effect by launching a low-cost short-range missile from a freighter just 12 miles off the US coast. There is no early-warning system that would provide enough time to react.
Deterrence is no-longer an option when we face a determined adversary, with no state-affiliation, who can can achieve an EMP attack capability without having a high-level of sophistication. All they require is one or two relatively unsophisticated missiles armed with nuclear weapons.
Our pervasive use of and dependence up on electronics continues to grow, leaving our society and military vulnerable and open to critical damage. It invites and rewards an attack. That’s why we MUST:
STAND UP TO AHMADINEJAD!
Military and National Security Policy Experts, and First Responders Call on President Obama to Confront the Iranian Threat.
VIDEO presentation (with pictures) of the complete audio (there were some very brief moments in the panel where audio drops out)
The speakers (in order of appearance) began with opening remarks by Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, director of the U.S. Nuclear Strategy Forum and president of EMPACT America .
Lt. General Thomas McInerny, retired Air Force and member of the Iran Policy Committee [7:34 -11:21]
Reza Khalili, Ex – CIA Spy in the revolutionary guards of Iran and the author of the award winning book, A Time to Betray; instructor at the Joint Counterintelligence Training Academy of the Department of Defense [12:01- 16:46]
Ken Timmerman, CEO of Foundation for Democracy of Iran; author, Countdown to Crisis: The Coming Iranian Nuclear Showdown. [17:28 – 22:45]
Chet Nagel, former CIA, author of Iran Covenant [22:59 -24:56]
Brigadier General Kenneth Chrosniak, U.S. Army War College, Bronze Star recipient [25:12 – 28:51]
Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer, U.S. Army, retired, Bronze Star recipient and Senior Intelligence Officer in the Defense Intelligence Agency [29:38 – 35:11]
Clare M. Lopez, strategic policy and intelligence expert on national defense, Islam, Iran, and counterterrorism issues [35:30 – 45-16]
Peter Huessey is President of GeoStrategic Analysis of Potomac, Maryland, a defense and national security consulting firm, who has written extensively on Iran and nuclear issues [45:41- 55:12]
Tim Brown, is a retired, decorated 20-year FDNY firefighter, and a 9/11 survivor. He was a first responder to the 1993 terrorist attack on the WTC and the 1995 terrorist attack on the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City. [55:43 – 59:53]
What followed next was an equally engaging Q and A. Dr. Pry began the Q and A by showing us this Planning Guide:
Then the panel answered questions from the audience.
We also heard brief remarks from Cynthia E. Ayers, former NSA Visiting Professor to Center For Strategic Leadership, U.S.Army War College, VP EMPact America
And Henry Schwartz, Founder of EMPact America, was acknowledged
VIDEO Play list of the Q and A (1st of the 5 videos is the Panel) Q and A begins with 2nd video in the Play List:
Slide Show of Pictures:
You can voice your opinion through EMPact’s online advocacy campaigns at www.GuardTheGrid.com
Read more on the Press Conference here