AN UPDATE FROM THE BRAVE CITIZENS OF SHEEPSHEAD BAY.
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Bay People Inc.
1421 Sheepshead Bay Rd.
Post Mail Box 288
Brooklyn, NY 11235
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
This media release is to address the unfortunate situation where a Community Center is being pushed upon a community in which absolute majority opposes the facility in question.
Thousands of neighborhood residents view this construction for what it is: a clever manipulation of zoning laws and building codes by the developer, who is trying to squeeze in something designed to accommodate over three hundred people, just feet from their bedroom windows and front doors on a quiet residential block.
Residents of Sheepshead Bay deserve honest and meaningful media coverage of their opposition to the proposed Mosque/Community Center on Voorhies Avenue in Brooklyn, NY. We are not affiliated with any political party. Our activists do not share common religion, race or heritage.
Bay People Inc. collected hundreds of signatures from people opposing construction. We made phone calls, wrote letters and emails to every local and national politician representing our neighborhood. Unfortunately, our pleas were addressed to people like Carl Kruger in State Senate and Anthony Weiner who represented us in the US Senate. Needless to say, we received no help from Mr. Kruger or Mr. Weiner, not even a text message.
We oppose this Mega-Mosque/House of Worship for the following reasons:
- It will disrupt our quiet residential way of life.
- Additional foot and car traffic will indanger children attending public school, located across the street.
- Mosque traffic will negatively affect both drivers and pedestrians living in the area.
- Calls to prayer five times a day will destroy the quality of life most people residing here are accustom to.
- Dozens and hundreds of people congregating at the facility every single day will create unbearable noise as they enter and leave the premises.
- Developers refuse to accommodate for parking spaces- lying to DOB about total occupancy during prayer times, constantly changing the floor plans whenever community asks questions.
- Members of the community are accused of being racists, terrorists, and bigots simply for trying to defend our rights.
- The ill-conceived project is moving forward, helped by the constant lying and manipulation of plans and permits, and despite multiple fines (to date more than $30,000), violations, and creating false statements in court documents. So far there are 23 complaints, 21 ECB violations, 1 DOB violation, and 1 OSHA violation, 2 full stop work orders, which were ignored until the foundation was completed.
- Our concerns have been brought to city officials and government departments, but hardly anyone has seriously listened or met with us to help us stop this construction, preserve our quality of life and protect our real estate values. Our politicians need our votes but time and time again hide behind political correctness when the community needs them.
- Residents are very concerned with who is backing this construction financially. We know that MAS is in charge of overlooking the project. We have questions and concerns that are not being answered by the other side.
The community still has many more questions, and a lot more information to provide.
The Saudis are funding this. the Moslem brotherhood are behind it. they have probably bribed your political people to screw you.
Stop being nice. You will lose.
Demand a noise ordinance that will stop the wailing five times per day with the calls to prayer. If you don’t get it, you have an advantage.
Get powerful loudspeakers and blast noise back at the mosque when it has its calls for prayer, and during their worship sessions.
Call police when traffic problems occur. video tape infractions and demand action.
Interesting idea. Blasting the noise back at them. I like that. And i agree….NICE is getting us NO Where